Mar 15, 2017

Are you confused?

"We do the things that we believe are most important.
The problem is, sometimes we're confused about what's most important."
- Resisting Happiness, by Matthew Kelly


The above is a quote from a video led by Catholic author, Matthew Kelly, regarding prayer.  I had to pause the video for a moment when he said those words because I could so easily relate.  But what was most interesting to me about the video is that he talked about going to mass and how, anymore, we seem to find all sorts of excuses why not to go.  I'm too busy, or I just want to sleep in, or I have other things I need to get done, seem to top the list.  And as he says in his book, Resisting Happiness, we are continuously doing the opposite of what we know will make us happy.  For instance, I love to write, but wouldn't you know it, I will choose first to attack my lingering to-do list before I sit down at my computer. Why is that?  Why is attending mass, or praying daily, something we put off as well?  

Tell me.  When was the last time you walked out of mass and said, gosh, I feel so unhappy right now; I really wish I hadn't gone to mass.  I suppose it's the same for exercising or setting our cell phones down to play a game with our kids. We choose not to do these things, even though we know how happy they will make us.



In Matthew's video, he asks this question.  What if we knew that if we went to mass each and every week, we would find one thousand dollars inside of a song book, just waiting for us?  How often, do you think, would we miss attending?

(gulp)

What would be your answer?  Without a doubt, I would be there! Wouldn't you?  What does that say about us?  What does that say about our priorities? What does that say about what we deem most important?

How are you confusing what's most important?  

Or better yet, answer this - what is most important?

(If you'd like to watch the video I referred to, please click here.)

(And if you'd like to pick up a copy of Matthew's book, Resisting Happiness, here's where you can find it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment